Logo Fundació Antoni Tàpies
(Famagusta, 1929)

Valentinos Charalambous

Valentinos was born into a family of traditional potters in Famagusta. After graduating with distinction from the Central School of Art, London, he worked there as a technical assistant. After a year at the pottery of Bernard Leach, in 1952 he returned to Cyprus to work with his father. In 1957 he was asked by the Ministry of Education of Iraq to undertake the establishment of the Department of Ceramics of the Institute of Fine Arts in Baghdad. In 1960 he was assigned to establish a similar department at the ‘Tahrir’ Girls College, Baghdad, and in 1967 he joined the newly established Academy of Fine Arts of the University of Baghdad and became the head of the Department of Ceramics, a position he held until he retired to Cyprus in 1983. He remains in close contact with Baghdad and in 1987 the Iraqi Government honoured him for his contribution to the development of Iraqi art both as a teacher and an artist. Valentinos still works with the Cultural Services of the Ministry of Education and Culture assigned to the development of the Cyprus-Arab cultural relations.

The information regarding participants is taken from a file which has not been updated since the completion date of each project.